Moving House, House Moving Checklist
Moving house can be made easier if you do some planning and think ahead, right down to the day you move. We hope the following list will help make house moving as relaxed as possible.
- 1-2 months before you House Moving
- 2 weeks before House Moving Day
- Last Minute and House Moving Day
1-2 months before you move
Book a firm date for moving house and arrange time off work if possible
Melbourne Furniture Removals
When planning your house moving, consider:
- Is there sufficient access for large appliances and pieces of furniture?
- What level is your new house on?
- Is there a lift?
- Do you need to book the lift?
- Professionals or amateurs? Decide whether you’re to be moved by professional removalists or with the help of family and friends, or a combination – for more information check out Hints & Tips
Redirect your Mail & Change your address
- Don’t miss any of your mail, have Australia Post redirect it to your new address.
- Advise organisations of your change of address. Australia Post can assist with this.
- Plan ahead. Get rid of as much junk as possible through charity bins or garage sales.
- Start to use all the food in your freezer to prevent wasting it when you’re moving to new house
- Start your packing early – see Hints & Tips for advice on packing
- Complete an inventory of all items packed
- Check your insurance policy – will it cover the house moving?
- Do you have Premises/Home and Contents Insurance for where you are moving to? Does it include insurance for your furniture while it is in transit?
- Make a list of items you’ll need available for the moving day, so that you don’t pack something essential. These may be personal items or essential business items, phone numbers and addresses.
2 weeks before house moving day
Organise your utility accounts
- Arrange for disconnection and reconnection of electricity, gas, telephone and water
- Don’t forget to cancel newspapers, cleaning, gardening, pet grooming and other local services
- Return things like library books and be sure you’ve picked up any dry-cleaning, shoe repairs etc
- Book professional cleaners if necessary
- If renting, arrange for carpet cleaners to come in after you have moved your furniture
- Defrost and clean your fridge and freezer the day before you’re moving
- Safety – consider all safety implications when packing and moving
Make sure you know when and where keys will be available for your new premises.
Last Minute and House Moving Day
- Make or confirm key collection arrangements
- Pack a small box of items you’ll need for immediate use in your new home, including some toiletries, a change of clothes, medicines, toilet paper, soap and towels
- Pack another box with kitchen essentials for the move day such as a kettle, cutlery, mugs, tea, coffee and snacks
- Do a final check of all storage areas
- On House moving day, get an early start
- Check off all furniture and cartons against your inventory as they go into the van or truck
- Turn off electricity at the meter
- Check that all doors and windows are securely locked as you leave your old house
- Be sure to keep your valuables, personal effects and important papers with you, so they don’t go astray
- Unpack bedding and make up beds as soon as possible – you’ll thank yourself at the end of a tiring day